02 May 2011

Tangled, My Thoughts / The Color Brown

In a previous post I shared an article where a lady wrote about finding adoption related themes in Disney movies, and especially in "Tangled". I received some very enlightening comments. Most said they did not relate the movie to adoption at all because Rapunzel was kidnapped, not adopted. One lady commented that she was more worried about how the long, golden hair would affect her daughter's self esteem.

I have finally seen the movie. Overall, not thinking about the possible adoption aspect, I wasn't impressed. I guess from the comments of others and from the clips I've seen of it I expected it to be more modern, less damsel-in-distress. It was not. Just another typical Disney story. Bummer.

There was one part of the movie that made me go, "What?" It was when Rapunzel and Flynn (that was his name, right?) enter a bar full of "ruffians".

Flynn: "You smell that? Take a deep breath through the nose. Really let that seep in. What are you getting? Because to me it's part man smell, and the other part is really bad man smell. I don't know why but overall it just smells like the color brown. Your thoughts?"

Now let me say I'm not fishin' for something to complain about. I understand what was and wasn't meant by this comment, but it jumped out at me and just really bugs. Annoying.

Did you notice it? What do you think about it?

Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)

6 comments:

  1. Yes I also noticed that comment and found it to be pretty off putting. Clearly there wasn't a "brown" writer on staff or else that line would have jumped out to them as well. Baffling. Disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought of absolutely nothing by this comment, except that it was strange and humorous. I found this movie, while not the BEST Disney movie, pretty innocent. In all actuality, there are a lot of things I associate colors with; frankly, I associate warm things with the color brown, for no particular reason. I think Flynn's comment was like that. Nothing more. Probably even less.

    And in reality, some people actually CAN smell colors (or hear them or smell sounds); the condition is called synaesthesia. (Not that I really think Flynn is a synaesthetic--I'm just saying.)

    In essence, though I know some Disney movies have exhibited racist or misogynistic leanings, I didn't think this was one of them. (The Princess and the Frog--now THAT movie was a little annoying, purely for the fact that the first black princess, something to be celebrated, was GREEN practically the whole time... but that's another topic.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. Innocent, but annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I was the only one who noticed this. I took my 12 year old daughter to see this and up until that point I was enjoying it. I have always felt that all races are not equally represented in these billion dollar films though they are patronized by everyone. The hero or the main characters are either caucasian or animals. This was more than annoying, it was very insulting. I can't help but think that they knew it was and they don't care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought the same - I can't be the only one who noticed it. I'm glad I'm not. Thank you for your comment!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated. Thank you for your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...