03 May 2011

Transracial Adoption: A Family's Experience and Advice...

...to those considering adopting transracially



What a great video! "Straight from the horse's mouth." A couple of things jumped out at me. First, that transracially adopted kids stand out, and standing out in any way is very difficult for teenagers. I always knew this, but it was interesting to hear about it from someone who had been through it. Second, the transracially adopted young man says that a transracial family MUST have neighbors and friends who are the same race as their transracially adopted child. Ooo. That really struck a cord. We aren't even close to providing that for our child. Decisions, decisions. Stay here for ourselves, or move for our child. Thoughts about this video?

Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this video! My son is biracial, and this was a good reminder...b/c somedays, I just get so used to his color, I forget there is a difference, which is a mother's love, but I need to remember there is a different world out there for him, besides in this family. LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad! Thanks for "tuning in"!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated. Thank you for your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...